Sunday, June 29, 2014

First Family Vacation

We are back from sunny Florida. Our first family vacation was AWESOME! We spent time on the beach, relaxed by the pool and hung out with each other, uninterrupted, for an entire week. It was nice. It was a little different from my husband and I's pre-baby days but it was so fun. I mean it had me questioning if we should speed up for baby #2 lol.

But I did learn somethings about traveling with a baby that I thought I would share with you.

1. Beware of berries
SOOOOO I made the HUGE mistake of packing strawberries, blueberries and apple juice for Micah's first trip. These are his favorites so I knew he would enjoy them. And he loved them, BUT... Can you say poop-splosion. Those berries had him pooping every five seconds it seemed. Running back and forth changing him had his bum a little sore from all the poopy action. So on the trip back I opted for water, bananas and watermelon (and less of it). Only one poopy diaper and a much happier bum.

2. Nix the 17 hour drive
At the last minute my husband and I decided against driving 17 hours and opted for plane tickets. Sure they were a bit pricier but I welcomed that expense to car stops every hour cause baby is fussy and needs activity. On the plan we could read books, bounce up and down, look out the window, play with small toys, all from the comfort of mommy's lap. And babies fly free under two so why not take advantage of that.

3. Eating time- Take off and landing
Micah did not cry not one bit during the plane ride. We made sure to time his eating time during take off and landing, because I got advice from a mommy friend of mine that this helps with that annoying ear popping. Either she was right or our baby just really loves planes... but I do think that this really helped.

How about you? what helped you when traveling long distances with baby? Did you drive? Did you fly? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 comment:

  1. We drove from Virginia to Alabama and it was about a 14 hour drive. The trick is to leave during normal sleeping hours lol. We left about 3 am so Baby Doll was out cold till about 9. I did the ghetto thing and pumped while she slept. It is a good idea to always have a hand pump. Once we got to stopping point, I was able to feed her a good bottle and some jar food. she would play with some toys that were attached to her seat. But the last hour of traveling she was crazy. Sitting in that car seat was brutal and she had had enough, I felt bad, but we were so close lol so she had to cry it out.

    ReplyDelete