Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Daycare tales

When Micah was born my biggest fear as a working mom was sending him to a strangers house for 10 (yes 10) hours a day. That is 50 hours per week. I had already chosen a daycare provider when I was 7 months pregnant and I had spent time getting to know her I was still nervous to say the least. But I would love to announce that I LOVE his daycare. I know that as a working mom daycare is scary so let me tell you some things that made this journey so awesome for us.

1. Getting a referral- There is something awesome about knowing someone who speaks highly of the person who you are trusting to watch your child. This places you at ease a little. So ask those working mommy friends of yours who they trust to watch their little ones.

2. Choosing home daycare- So this was very important to me. I believe strongly that a good home daycare for a little tyke beats a center any day. It gives the feel of being home hanging out with friends. They can only have 8 children at a time with no more than 2 infants which means less of a chance the baby will be sick often, and your little on will really build a relationship with his daycare provider.

3. Spending a day or two- we spent a few days at the daycare during maternity leave so that I could really get a feel for how the day is run.

4. Starting before you start- My little man's first day at daycare was not my first day back to work. I let him start a few days before work so that I could get out all my blubbering (and yes I blubbered bad) before I went back to work. This also helped me to time how long it would take me to drop him off and then head to work. I also felt comfortable knowing I was available if he needed me

5. Spend time- Every now and then see if you could come to daycare a little early and read a story to the children or play a game with them or spend some time with the daycare provider. This will help you feel like you are a part of your little tyke's world.

My little man started daycare at 12 weeks and I am glad I didn't start any later because he adjusted well and didn't suffer from separation anxiety which can happen around 5 month. His daycare provider has truly become a part of the village that it is taking to raise Micah. She has successfully raised 4 children and is now helping to raise the next generation. Is you are looking for a daycare in the DC metro area check out little leaders daycare with Mrs. Angela Chance. She is truly AMAZING. So now you got your get a referral step out of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment